#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Double Oat Breakfast Cookies


When I was asked to bring a breakfast item to our church women's event this Saturday, I immediately starting thinking about all of the quick breads, muffins, and coffee cakes that I have bookmarked in my google reader to make. Then, I remembered that I had pulled a breakfast cookie recipe out of a Better Homes and Garden magazine awhile ago. Cookies for breakfast? Who wouldn't like that?!

These cookies are great for breakfast or anytime! They aren't super sweet and taste pretty healthy, thanks to the whole wheat flour and minimal amount of sugar. These were easy to make although the dough was very sticky to work with, even after chilling for about 45 minutes. There were plenty of these cookies left over and the girls were happy to take them off my hands, so I'd say they were a hit!


Double Oat Breakfast Cookies
*the recipe said it would make 48 cookies, I got about 42-44 cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour (I used half whole wheat & half all-purpose)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup raisins and/or milk chocolate pieces (I used both)
3 cups round toasted oat cereal (I used Kashi Heart-to-Heart cereal)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat butter and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
3. Add sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl.
4. Beat in water, egg, and vanilla until combined.
5. Beat in flour until combined.
6. Beat in oats until combined. Stir in raisins/chocolate and cereal.
7. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls about 3 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly brown.
8. Cool on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to three months.