#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cranberry Apple Scones

Last Saturday, Ryan woke up and decided he was in the mood for scones. Normally I'd jump at the opportunity to fulfill his request (it's rare that he requests something...usually I'm making offers and suggestions), but I was headed out the door and couldn't be convinced to stay and do some baking.

Ryan must have REALLY wanted those scones, because I returned from the gym to find a freshly baked batch of some of the best scones our household has ever seen. I've made scones a few times and they've always turned out decent (with the exception of my very first batch that I burnt because I was vacuuming when the oven timer went off...). However, these were near perfect. I was immediately impressed by their appearance and couldn't help but bite into one. One bite became two until suddenly the scone had disappeared....so much for that hard work at the gym ;)

I asked Ryan if he wanted to blog this recipe, but he again told me it's my job, so here's what he did... (and what I'll be copying from here on out!) Note: he made several changes from the recipe he based it on, so if you're interested in the original "apple scones", click the link!

Cranberry Apple Scones
recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, chilled
1 apple, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup half & half
1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Directions:
1. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly.
2. Add apple, dried cranberries, oats, milk, and half & half.
3. Stir to form a soft dough.
4. Drop the dough onto the cookie sheet in chunks (Ryan made 8 scones). Note: you could also cut the dough into triangles if you prefer your scones this way.
5. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

**Ryan made these scones at about 9:00 am on Saturday. At 8:00 pm that same day, I asked him how many he'd eaten. Any guesses? FOUR! These really are that good!! It might be worth doubling the recipe!