#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}

Monday, October 12, 2009

Tuscan Pumpkin White Bean Soup



Ryan's in California the first half of this week for work, so two of my friends from work (my work bff's as I like to call them!) and I decided to have a girls night in at my place. I made this soup, which I've had saved in my email for almost a year and have been dying to try. Ashley brought an awesome salad & Paige brought bread from Companion (best bakery in STL!). Along with the meal, we had some delicious wine that Ash brought, Paige's goat cheese stuffed dates (it was my first time trying dates and WOW, love them), and some leftover chocolate caramel oatmeal bars.

The food was good and the company was even better (Paige, I know you're reading and rolling your eyes at my cheesiness). I'm so glad I finally made this soup, as we all loved it. It was very "fall-tasting" without being overpowered by the pumpkin. I loved how easy it was to make and I know I'll be making this again soon for Ryan, who was disappointed that he was missing out on a new pumpkin recipe (although he left me a message and said he's eating tonight at one of the best seafood places in Newport Beach, so I don't feel too bad).

(I just realized that I used parentheses a lot in those above two paragraphs. Yikes.)

Anyways, the point is, this soup was delicious and you should make it soon! The recipe says it makes 6 one-cup servings, which I'd say is pretty accurate. It would be easy to double if you were making for a larger group though.

Tuscan Pumpkin White Bean Soup

Ingredients:
-1 spray olive oil cooking spray (I only had canola oil cooking spray)
-1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
-15 oz canned pumpkin
-15.5 oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
-3 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
-1/4 tsp ground oregano
-1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
-1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
-6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Coat a large soup pot with cooking spray and set over medium-low heat. Add onion, cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally (about 6 minutes).
2. Stir in pumpkin, broth, beans, and oregano; simmer 8 minutes.
3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth (Note: Make sure not to overfill blender in order to avoid splattering.) (Natalie's note: I definitely "overfilled" the blender my first try and it made a giant mess in the kitchen. One to two ladle-fuls of soup each time is plenty! Also, if you have an immersion blender, use this instead!)
4. Return soup to pot and reheat; season with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated parmesan.