#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Creamy Wild Rice Soup

I'm enjoying one last day at home with the family, and then my sister, Ryan, and I are driving back to St. Louis. My sister Julia is moving here in a few months (yay!) so she's coming back with us to take care of some logistical stuff for work. After a week in Denmark and a weekend at home, I'm eager to be back in the kitchen cooking! Keep reading and stay tuned for a review and a GIVEAWAY later this week! It's a good one-you don't want to miss it :)

I made this soup the Monday before Thanksgiving, knowing it would last us two meals until we left town. This soup is another one of my mom's recipes and one of my all-time favorites. It's one of her go-to meals when she's cooking for big groups (have I mentioned that she's awesome and is always hosting get-togethers for friends, school events, etc etc!?!). I've also made it for groups before-specifically last winter when I hosted book club at my house. The ladies loved this soup, especially when served with warm bread and a spinach salad!

The recipe is easy to double and leftovers can be frozen. However, one batch of this makes quite a lot of soup...enough for us to get at least 6 servings out of it. Make it and let me know what you think!

Creamy Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
-8 Tbsp butter (or less) **I use half of this
-2 Tbsp minced onion
-2/3 cup flour
-6 cups chicken broth
-4 cups cooked wild rice (1 box)
-1 cup grated carrot
-6 Tbsp slivered almonds (1 small package)
-1 tsp salt
-2 cups half and half

Directions:
1. Melt butter on saucepan. Saute onion until tender.
2. Blend in flour, gradually adding broth.
3. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
4. Stir in rice, carrots, almonds, and salt. Simmer about 5 minutes.
5. Blend in half and half. Heat to serving temperature.

**So easy and doesn't require any blending--gotta love that!